The Discoveries Centre will bring together the best research groups in Portugal in the regenerative and precision medicine fields. The complementary knowledge of these teams coupled with the high-level competences of UCL researchers, as well as the state-of-the-art equipment and unique infrastructure available at the Centre will allow the new institution to perform excellent research.
The Discoveries Centre will focus on multi-disciplinary research that can be translated into the development of innovative tools and applications for the prevention and treatment of a group of disorders, namely musculoskeletal, neurodegenerative and cardiovascular diseases.
The research and development performed by the Centre will be grouped in 6 different research units:
- Stem Cells – stem cell sources, stem cell isolation, cellular reprogramming, modulations and differentiation, stem cell engineering and cell expansion; bioreactors for stem cell differentiation and expansion; stem cell isolation and purification processes; stem cell based therapies; stem cell transplantation; platforms to improve stem cell survival after transplantation;
- Regenerative Medicine – immunomodulation, immunology and inflammation; injectable and non-invasive systems, strategies for the stimulation of cells; surfaces and microfluidics; regenerative niches; non-invasive monitoring strategies; modelling of tissue units, among others;
- Advanced Therapies – advanced medicinal products; modified stem cells and viral vectors for gene therapies, iPSCs approaches, among others;
- Nanomedicine, Tissue Engineering and Disease Models – nanomaterials, growth factors, biopharmaceuticals; biomaterials; scaffolds; tissue engineering based disease models; in vitro 3D organ models and experimental animal models of diseases, among others;
- Systems Biology and Lab-on-a-chip – molecular and computational modelling; imaging and diagnostic tools; IT health technologies and information management; bioinformatics; stem cell in vitro systems for drug screening and toxicology studies; creation of new bio-chips, among others;
- Pre-clinical and Translational Research – GMP models; personalized health care providing; surgical sciences; patient oriented clinical research, among others.